The department was founded in 1934 by professor, DSc in Geography I.M. Ivanov as department of physical geography. The prominent scientist, the founder of scientific landscape school in Belarus V.A. Dementiev has managed the department from 1938 till 1974.
The department has been reorganized into department of physical geography of the USSR in 1961. Since 1998 is renamed into department of physical geography and nature protection, and then is transformed into department of geographical ecology (geoecology) in May, 1999.
Heads of the department: Shklyar A.H. (1974-1977), Zubov S.M. (1977-1981), Sinyakova V.G. (1981-1988), Demidovich L.A. (1988-1999), Martsynkevich G.I. (1999-2000). Professor A.N. Vitchenko, DSc in Geography, manages department since May, 2000.
The staff of the department includes 2 professors, DSc in Geography, 6 associate professors, PhD in Geography, and 1 senior lecturer, PhD in Geography. Highly qualified specialists of other higher educational and scientific institutions of the country are involved in teaching as well.
Specialists in specialty 1-33 01 02 "Geoecology" and qualification "Geographer-ecologist. Teacher of geography and ecology" are prepared at the department. Master students and postgraduates obtain specialties 1-33 80 02 "Geoecology" and 25.03.13 "Geoecology" respectively.
Minsk, 16, Leningradskaya St., 318; ph. +375 17 209-54-91
- official groups in social media:
SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH AREAS:
Lecturers of the department carry out scientific researches devoted to development of theoretical and applied problems of geoecology, studying of natural and anthropogenic landscapes, assessment of landscape diversity and quality of the environment of Belarus, geoecological assessment of climate, development of modern educational technologies.
Lecturers of the department give lectures, seminars, practical and laboratory trainings in 43 courses. The emphasis is placed on use of active methods of training, application of effective forms of knowledge control.
- General ecology.
- Geoecology of lakes.
- Methods of geographical research.
- Human geoecology.
- Landscape science.
- Geography of Belarus.
- Environmental assessment, management and audit.
- GIS in geoecological management.
- Branch GIS in environmental management.
- Ecology of landscapes.
- Analytical methods in geoecology.
- Methodology of teaching geographical and ecological disciplines.
- Management of environmental monitoring.
- Ecological management and audit in industry.
- Data sources for GIS in geoecology.
- The GIS hardware and software in geoecology.
- Computer graphic and animation visualization in geoecology.
- History and methodology of geographical sciences.
- Data models and DBMS in geoecology.
- GIS-analysis and modeling in geoecology.
- Environmental economics.
- Natural resource cadastres of Belarus.
- Environmental law.
- Urban geoecology.
- Ecological management and audit in agriculture.
- Ecological management and audit in tourism and nature protection activity.
- Design and compound of GIS in geoecology.
- Geoenvironmental problems of Belarus.
- Ecological management of territorial planning.
- Management of environmental risks.
- Sustainable development and environmental policy.
- Topical problems of development of ecological sciences.
- Modern problems of geography and scientific schools of Belarus.
- Modern problems of landscape ecology.
- Ecological design and EIA.
- Tourism geography.
- Transport and distribution logistics.
- Science of excursioning.
- Organization and market of environmental services.
- Computer visualization of geoecological information.
- Territorial planning and SEA.
- Basics of programming in GIS.